Florida Marijuana / Cannabis Medical Use Law: Legal
- Amendment 2, approving the use of medical marijuana and the expanded qualifying medical conditions, was voted for on November 8, 2016, and passed with a 71.3% in favor and 28.7% against. It became effective on January 3, 2017.
- Must have a Medical Marijuana Use Registry Identification Card issued by the Florida Department of Health Office of Medical Marijuana Use.
- Qualifying physicians can order no more than three 70-day supplies within a physician certification for the medical use of low-THC cannabis or medical marijuana for qualified patients.
Florida Recreational Marijuana / Cannabis Recreational Use Law: Illegal
- The use of recreational marijuana is illegal in Florida
Medical Marijuana in Florida
Florida law defines medical marijuana as all parts of any plant of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant or its seeds or resin, including low-THC cannabis, which are dispensed from a medical marijuana treatment center for medical use by a qualified patient.
In Florida, medical marijuana is distinct from low-THC cannabis in that it can contain significant amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the chemical compound that causes the “high” commonly associated with cannabis. Unlike low-THC cannabis, the consumption of medical marijuana can lead to potent psychoactive effects in patients.
The medical use of medical marijuana does NOT include the following:
- The possession, use or administration of medical marijuana by smoking.
- The transfer of medical marijuana to a person other than the qualified patient for whom it was ordered or their legal representative.
- The use or administration of medical marijuana on any form of public transportation, in any public place, in a qualified patient’s place of employment, if restricted by his or her employer, in a state correctional institution, on the grounds of a preschool, primary school, or secondary school or any school bus or vehicle.
Medical Marijuana Facility Licensing
Licensed medical marijuana treatment centers are authorized to cultivate, process and dispense medical marijuana. Medical marijuana treatment centers may deliver medical marijuana products to patients. The application period for dispensing organization approval ended July 8, 2015, at 5:00 pm. The department is not accepting applications to become a dispensing organization. Click here for a list of approved medical marijuana treatment centers.