Alaska Marijuana / Cannabis Medical Use Law: Legal
- Measure 8: Voted in November 3 1998, approved by 131,586 (58.67%)
- Must have a Medical Marijuana Registry card issued by the Department of Health and Social Services a division of Public Health Bureau of Vital Statistics.
- Patients can grow up to 6 marijuana plants no more than three may be mature. May possess up to 1 ounce of usable marijuana.
Alaska Recreational Marijuana / Cannabis Recreational Use Law: Legal
- Measure 2: Voted in November 4 2014, approved by 149,021 (53.23%)
- Alaskans age 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of cannabis and six plants
THE REGULATION OF MARIJUANA
AS 17.38 was passed by citizen’s initiative on the November 4, 2014 ballot. The initiative directed the Marijuana Control Board (created by the Alaska Legislature by a bill signed in May, 2015) to adopt regulations governing commercial marijuana establishments and then regulate the newly formed industry. The Marijuana Control Board adopted regulations in 3 AAC 306 at the end of 2015, and those regulations became effective February 21, 2016. The Marijuana Control Board will continue to follow the intent of the voter’s initiative and more recently adopted statutes for the development of Alaska’s new commercial marijuana industry.
On November 03, 1998, 58% of Alaska voters approved Ballot Measure 8, which removed state-level criminal penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of medical marijuana (also referred to as medical weed, medical pot or medical cannabis) by patients who possess written documentation from their physician advising that they “might benefit from the medical use of marijuana.”
Medical Marihuana Facility Licensing
Marihuana is legal in Alaska and can be used for both medical and recreational users but there are certain restrictions. It is legal for growing own herb and possess nearly up to one ounce ( 4 ounces in private residence) but it is very much illegal to sell or consume in public.
The Alaska Department of Health And Social Service has proper rules and measures which can help the Alaskans to better understand marijuana use right among adults and pregnant women along with the perception which us linked with the use of marijuana use.
To know more about rules and regulations, see this page.